Certified organic food means non gmo

think go plate 2

Certified Organic is the only non-GMO standard overseen by the Canadian government. Organic standards forbid the use of GMOs in seeds, in animal feed, and in the ingredients of processed organic food and products. If you’re concerned about GMOs, simply buy organic food! More information on regulations can be found here http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/organic-products/eng/1300139461200/1300140373901.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency adopted the Organic Products Regulations in June 2009, in large part to comply with stricter European requirements on exported produce. At the same time, it introduced the Canada Organic label for products certified under the new rules. The federal regulations apply only to producers who want to use the Canada Organic label and to those who sell organic products across provincial, territorial or international borders. The use of genetic engineering, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs), is prohibited in organic products. This means an organic farmer can’t plant GMO seeds. At the same time, an organic cow can’t eat GMO alfalfa or corn, and an organic soup producer can’t use any GMO ingredients.

Which products can be labeled ‘organic’?

  • Only products with at least 95 percent organic content may be labeled as “organic” or bear the “organic” logo. These products must be certified and the name of the certification body must appear on the label. To be considered organic, 95 percent of ingredients used have to be organic, and the other 5 percent accounts for others products such as salt or baking soda.
  • Multi-ingredient products with 70-95 percent organic content may have the declaration: “contains xx% organic ingredients.” These products may not use the organic logo and/or the claim to be “organic.” They must be certified and the name of the certification body must appear on the label.
  • Multi-ingredient products with less than 70 percent “organic” content may only contain organic claims in the product’s ingredient list. These products do not require certification and may not use the “organic” logo. However, the organic ingredients contained within these products must be certified.

What is the difference between “organic” and “natural”?

In Canada, organic is regulated by the government and must follow national standards, while “natural” is a marketing term used by companies based on their own definition of what “natural” is. That means anyone can use the word “natural” on their products, and consumers have to trust them. “Organic” on the other hand, is the gold standard for “eco-labels” inspected and overseen by the government. Make sure you Think Before You Eat and look for the “Canada Organic” logo! https://choosecanadaorganic.ca/organic101/

Organic logo   =      untitled


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

you're currently offline