This cheese pound cake has been altered to represent healthier version of the original recipe. Quantity of ingredients used make 24cm pound cake.
Ingredients for the cake mixture:
- 4 eggs ( room temperature)
- 200ml plain yogurt
- 200 ml grapeseed oil ( or olive oil)
- 300gr all purpose unbleached organic flour
- 4 small dill pickles
- 150g smoked turkey
- 150 g feta cheese crumbled
- 1 baking powder ( no added aluminum)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp oregano
Garnishing: Organic mozzarella shredded cheese (or any kind you like). I prefer L’Ancetre brand.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Oil and lightly flour the 9 inch-pound cake dish and set aside
- Scramble eggs. Then add yogurt, oil, salt, paper, and oregano
- Gradually add flour with baking powder to the creamy mixture, while mixing it all the time
- Finally add remaining ingredients ( feta cheese, smoked turkey, dill pickles) and mix until they become incorporated with other ingredients
- Put the batter into the prepared cake module
- Bake for 50 minutes or so
- Once baked, let it cool for 5 min before placing the cake from the dish onto a pan covered with parchment paper.
- Cover the entire cake with shredded mozzarella. I leave the garnishing part to the individual’s taste. Here you can also sprinkle the cake with oregano if you like to get more taste of it. Put it back into the oven for additional 5-10min or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven. It is perfect if a cake is served warm while cheese is still melting in your mouth.
Cooking Tips: If you do not like oregano or dill pickles, replace them with sun-dried tomatoes and spring onions. They go well with feta cheese. If lactose intolerant you may substitute yogurt with almond yogurt and sprinkle with sesame seeds.